Minor disturbance

Tuesday 29 July 2008

Unexpected achievement of the year!

Man, I come out with some seriously confused talk when I'm stoned. 

I vividly remember laying in Deane Park this past Monday night, staring at the stars and chatting utter nonsense about being in "prime position for alien abduction". And how "if anybody in Ruislip ends up getting abducted by aliens tonight, it'll probably be me lying in the middle of this field."

This on top of the confusion over why it was getting so foggy. The reason? Well, it wasn't. I just didn't realize I hadn't tipped my head up far enough - and was actually still looking at the clouds.

It's nice and refreshing to warp your mind every once in a while. I feel a lot better for the giggles that come with forgetting about everything that matters.

I'm still trying to find a balance between work, my social life and my private life. It's difficult to juggle them all at once and there's times where I'm drawn to feel guilty one way or the other. Whether it's turning down a night out with mates, not seeing my girlfriend as much as we'd like, or even just making a quick exit from the office at 5:30 while others are still busy.

I feel a lot more comfortable at work now than I did in the first couple of months, but it's still hard to blend in with the typical office banter. When I first started, I felt a big burden from being not just the new guy - but the youngest in the company by quite a margin. Everybody was welcoming, and I'm lucky enough to work for an agency where most of the people are easy to get along with - but you still feel like you're coming from completely different backgrounds.

One thing I can definitely say for sure is that I'm happier working behind the scenes than I would be face-to-face with the endless stream of financial suits that you come to expect in central London. 

I see people passing through for meetings and they all look the same, talk the same, walk the same...I bet they even lie the same. I've said it before and I'll say it again: the corporate world is hideous.

I like the work that I do, and I like the people that I work with - but Jesus Christ, I don't think I could stomach the fickle business of greeting clients, smile on my face and a "how was your weekend?" at the ready.

Anyway, the real shallow purpose of this update is to say: 50 posts and counting on Minor Disturbance!

I never expected this blog to survive the test of time. To be honest, I didn't expect it to survive the test of winter. But here I am - still - pouring all of my useless drivel in to one safely contained box - ready to be sealed in concrete and eventually de-listed from the web.

It's been an interesting ten months. I'm surprised - and remotely flattered - by just how many people have bothered to read these pages. It's always surreal when you're down the pub with your friends and somebody uses a blog entry from November 2007 against you. I've had all kinds of people mentioning my gibberish in passing conversation, some people foreseen and some not. 

Various people have taken it upon themselves to attempt to decipher just who or what I was talking about with a few of my earlier entries. I don't think it needs me to say that most of everything I write on here is grossly exaggerated and intended to confuse - and hopefully occasionally entertain.

Nothing scares me more than being taken seriously.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home